Friday, June 19, 2009

Handwriting

Growing up, I never had the best handwriting. It could have been partly due to the fact that when it was time for me to learn how to write, my family tied my left hand to a chair and made me learn with my right. Yup, true story. Who even does that to a 5 year old?
In grade school I had a hard time writing in cursive. I tried to make it so neat and clean but it just didn't work, nor look as good as some of the other students cursive. Then we got into the age where we were able to write in pen. I, unfortunately, never earned enough stars on my writing papers to get to use a pen, ever. Not even the kinds with erasers on the end.
I realized shortly after that I didn't have to write in cursive the rest of my life, or ever for that matter, so I gladly stopped. But to me my handwriting still looked like a boys.
For a long time, up until a few years ago, I always wrote in pencil. Habit, or just scared that if something didn't look right, I could erase it and try again. Then I got used to the way I wrote and didn't care anymore so I ditched the pencils, that fade and make your hand black and soon fell in love with pens.

I was reading in a magazine about what your handwriting says about you. I thought "oh, this will be interesting" and so I tried it out.

Write she sells seashells by the seashore in cursive.

Here are the results:
If your writing slants to the right you are open to the world around you and like to socialize with other people.
If the size of your letters is average you are well-adjusted and adaptable.
If your loops are full for L you are spontaneous and relaxed and find it easy to express yourself.
If your loops are full for E you have an open mind and enjoy trying new things.
If your S's are pointy you are intellectually probing and like to study new things. The higher and pointier the peaks, the more ambitious you are.

Hmm, not bad for crappy cursive penmanship, eh?

They also had a page that talked about if you want neater, more legible handwriting. yes i do

Write out the sentence in everyday style: A quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

1. line quality: pressure is spot on, not too faint and not too dark
2. alignment: your sentence does not tilt up or down which is very clean and neat
3. slant: your letters have an upright posture which is perfect. No slants
4. spacing: That's the correct amount of space to leave between each letter. A full lowercase o should fit between words.
5. letter formation: your letters are completely closed and have completed stems.

So what they're saying is that I have pretty good handwriting? AWESOME!
I still don't think it's the best but it fits me and, well, if it looks that good in pen, then it's good enough for me.

Take THAT Mrs. Christy!..............FACE!

No comments: