Wednesday, March 10, 2010

S O S


This week has been insane!  I mean INSANE!!  I have been completely busy every night and I still have 4 more days loaded.  My room is a mess and I might just need to call in some Relief Aid for Disaster Clean Up! If you want to see what Chile or Haiti looks like in person, just come over!
So what have I been doing? Well Monday I went to Westminster College to hear George Ayittey, PHD as part of the Weldon J Taylor Executive Lecture Series.  Georgy Ayittey is a brilliant man, distinguished Economist, and President of Free Africa Foundation.  He spoke mainly on the relationship between economic development, security, and freedom in Africa, mostly in relationship to the political system and tribes.  It was fascinating and very informative.
 I really enjoyed it.

Unlike last nights events. 

First it started off with a spin cycle at the gym where I learned the lesson of wearing dental floss undies. *note to self, the next time you go, wear granny panties with the biggest p-liner possible, your tush will thank you later! Now how's that for padding!
After the little bike session of peddling to the beat of some new age techno (which only made me imagine I was in the Castro biking up Twin Peaks) I ran home, threw my clothes in the giant mess of a room, and put on my girly face (and outfit) to head over to another lecture or "workshop".
It was awful!  
The entire time I kept saying to myself, and the girlfriends I came with, "Don't tell me something I already know ok!"  I swear I was in a SATC episode. The one where Charlotte needs more hope and turns to a self-help program.  She brings Carrie along to the lecture and asks the speaker why her affirmations aren't working. The speaker tells Charlotte she needs to put herself out there, but Carrie stands up for her friend and says,

"Believe me, she's out there."

We're all out there but there's only so much a girl can do until the rest is up to the man. We know how it works, but what we can't figure out is how to get IT.  Why don't the guys pursue, approach, hunt, all those things they are supposed to do and naturally do as men?
After the "what do girls think the guy thinks" charade, I was chatting with one of the girls over pizza and just how much we get it. We've been in this scene for so long, we could tell you story after story.We weren't told anything new or enlightening, other than a reminder that we were all (the 36 girls and 20 guys) single.

"If you stay single long enough, 
you're supposed to get wiser about dating; 
what men to pick, where to meet them. 
But what really made any of us experts?
Wasn't our single status 
a neon sign 
that we couldn't get it right?"
Carrie Bradshaw - Sex and the City

The only thing we did learn was that maybe we should have stayed home. Turned off our neon sign and called it a night.

2 comments:

Steph said...

yes. no more thongs please.

please go to bed early tonight. cancel your plans. you will thank me later.

love you!
steph

Watsonville said...

Um, I couldn't get past the first bit of this post about how horrible your room must look. Really, you probably have a pair of shoes on the floor not sitting exactly side by side to eachother. Sweat bottom folded and hanging over the chair in the corner. A t-shirt and tank folded on the seat of the chair with your ipod earphones on the nightstand. Yep, you are right. Your room should be condemned!